The
past year and a half saw me become a fan of a kind of music I didn't
think I would ever become a serious fan of - House music. Specifically
Progressive House music. I always ask my friends "How did we become
house music fans?" The answers always range from Jersey Shore (which
we are HUGE fans of) to the gyms we go to, but that's besides the
point.
There's
no denying that House music has taken over the radiowaves lately. If I
had to point to a specific DJ/Producer who started this rise, it would
have to be David Guetta. Guetta has always been popular over seas, but he
never really found mainstream success here until his album Nothing But the Beat
which
featured performances from Nicki Minaj, Usher, Lil Wayne, and many
other artists. My favorite song on that album was Titanium, which
featured Austialian singer - Sia. From then on, I became a House Music
junkie.
After
Titanium, I liked a handful of House songs, but none really connected
with me. Until I discovered the now defunct supergroup Swedish House
Mafia. Consisting of DJs/Producers Axwell, Steve Angello and Sebastian
Ingrosso, Swedish House Mafia had two major hits off of their last album
Until Now. These songs were Don't You Worry Child and Save
The World. After hearing those two songs, I quickly started searching
for more music from the members of Swedish House Mafia, either together
or individually. As I did, I discovered artists such as Hardwell,
Avicii, Steve Aoki, and Zedd.
Zedd
is a Russian-German producer and he currently has one of the biggest
songs in the United States (and one of my favorites) - Clarity. Featuring
English singer Foxes, it's no surprise that Clarity became one of the
biggest singles released this year. It has everything working for it!
First, the song has top notch production that starts slow and slowly
builds. Second, it features a singer. Don't get me wrong, I love House
music that doesn't have vocals, but it is extremely difficult for a
sans-vocal House song to gain mainstream success. Lastly (and this is
going to sound silly) it has chants. It's a personal theory of mine
that any song will become instantly successful if it has a chant that a
crowd can participate in during a live performance (see The Wanted's Glad You Came and The Lumineers Ho, Hey)
Ultimately,
I'm glad that the US is finally catching up to what the rest of the
world already knew. I'm glad that House Music is here and I hope it
stays for a long time.
- Juan R.
- Juan R.
Good Article. DJ Zed is very top!
ReplyDeletewww.enjoyhousemusic.com
Thank you and I agree! There's also a ton of others that I didn't mention...Dada Life, Pryda, Calvin Harris. All of them are great
ReplyDelete